Sunday, January 19, 2014

January Stash Bee Block

Yes, I joined another bee - Stash Bee.  I am looking for more challenges which include learning new blocks and techniques, using color combinations that I normally wouldn't use and meeting deadlines.

For January, our Queen Bee, Sara, asked for the Lone Star Hexagon.  I was a bit nervous when I saw this block - 60 degree angles!  This was definitely a challenge!  And the size!  Her colors were grey, coral, navy, black and aqua.  Aqua was tough for me.  Exactly what shade was she looking for?  I used my color wheel to choose -hope I made good choices.

Hive4+2014, 60 degree angles, Stash Bee
Block 1 - in progress

Hive4+2014, Stash Bee, 60 degree angles
Block 2 - in progress

I took my time making these blocks; checking the measurements of each strip, recutting strips, checking seam allowances, ripping seams, re-sewing the strips in the correct order and finally arrived at the finished product.  Sara asked that the blocks be left untrimmed.

Stash Bee 2014, HIve4+2014

Hive4+2014, StashBee Hive 4

When I finished these blocks I thought I would probably not choose to make these again, and then, I started browsing my quilt books and magazines for future projects and decided to commit to making this quilt, All Star.


Thanks to this experience, I feel confident in the 60 degree angles and making large blocks.  Committing to this quilt for the 2014 Library  Project QAL.

Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

  1. Stunning! What a beautiful set of blocks.Your colour choices are fabulous together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robin Sue this was my experience exactly. When I had to make this for another bee I was in I thought 'never again' but then I kept coming back to it so figured I really did love it and wanted a whole quilt of it. You made perfect fabric choices and can't wait to see them in person! Thank you, can't say it enough!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. Comments make me smile!